Monday, May 15, 2006

My recent endeavors in creating art and conceptualizing my ideas have been in the form of digital art. Using such adobe products as photoshop and illustrator and experimenting with film editing programs. As it stands, I only have about ten months experiencing in any form of digital media (where I am the creator). I can absolutely say that it is a wonderful technology for expressive people. However, with computer programs, one can only express themselves after reading the manual or going to school. It is quite hard to create an expressive piece of art with the computer in an expressive manner. There is no splashing of paint or rigorous drawing motions until your shoulders hurt. To be honest there would seem to be only about three benefits to using the computer for art. They would be: reproduction, global scale (which fits into reproduction), and well, the use of the mouse and keyboard and keyboard shortcuts forces you to use both of your hands.
I yearn to be a bilingual creator, so for the moment I will be happy with the first steps of becoming ambidextrous. And perhaps once I can use both of my hands to create, I will be able to use both sides of my brain, thus making the top side of my tongue for english, and the bottom side for other languages. And do not forget the sides of the tongue.
Due to my new found affection of having an open mind, digitally created art is great and is quite beneficial. That is why one has to respect the task that Adam Parrish King undertook in creating his film, The Wrath of Cobble Hill. I personally have not viewed the film, however reading the article in Animation Magazine, entitled "Brooklyn Blues," makes me think. King created a film using film and clay characters and not the programs of maya or other cutting edge digital technology. The article stated that it took King five years to complete the film. And he hand created all the sets and characters out of plasticine, steel armatures, and clay.
Adam King apparently did not use the aid of digital media, and yet I feel that because the majority of animated films use computers these days, that his piece fits into the category of digitallly created art. I apologize for that generalization, but will use the respect I have for hand building in my qualms with digital media. To one day embrace the new techniques with open arms is the goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home