Monday, June 05, 2006

The Run On


The act of reproducing artwork from the past is not a new concept and does not solely pertain to the album cover artwork of the band, Franz Ferdinand. Although when I did some searching as to the type of band and where they come from, Franz Ferdinand are from Scotland and they used the name from archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria. The same Archduke who was assassinated in 1914 in Sarajavo. This event is a crucial point in the World War of I.

I am not blaming the band, Franz Ferdinand for stealing other people's names and poster art, but is reproducing other's artistic work beneficial to a band. Aparently in the case of this band it is working, although I would suspect that their young following is not yet versed in the history of the world.

As for me, I see the act of reproducing others creative work as unorigianl and will not attempt the stunt, no matter how much I envy the creation. I should use the example of music artist's who sample music from classic songs. Those recordings always sell more records than the originals anyway. So instead of finishing this blog entry, I am going to snoop the web for elbows and background colors of rembrandt paintings, while I attempt to create something that will get me attention, any attention. You may find me at your local gallery, with scissors and checkbook in hand. Anybody feel like sharing their work with me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home